DJ DeeKay - In The Mix


Monday, 10 November 2008

"The revolution will not be televised, get from around here..." ( c ) Styles P

Over four years ago, the classic remix to Jadakiss' "Why", featuring Styles P, Common and Nas, dropped amidst great anticipation. In my opinion, it was one of the great "all-star" remixes of all time, with each of the guest verses standing out, and nobody letting the team down with a wack verse.

I heard it in it's entirety for the first time since 2004 when my iPod was on shuffle over the weekend, and it occured to me just how good this song actually is. Common's verse stood out as personally relevant to me now. Notice the "Obama For President" bars, over FOUR YEARS before it would become a reality! Nas does alot on this tune too. Littered with Nas' standard factual inaccuracies (half of America has AIDS?! That's news to me!), he still smashes it, but it's Common's verse I've chosent to highlight below, mainly because of one line I particularly emphathise with.


 
Jadakiss featuring Anthony Hamilton, Styles P, Nas and Common - Why (remix)


"Why do they say I changed for a girl?
Why you worried about my clothes if my flows gonna change the world?
Why you wait 'til you're 30 to try to be hard?
Why I gotta have religion if I believe in God?
Why is Bush actin like he trying to get Osama?
Why don’t we impeach him and elect Obama?

Why ain't Rick James remembered for classic hits?
Why do we remember Rick for smacking a bitch?
Why did Ricky Williams retire? They mad in Miami.
Why did Justin sell Janet out to go to the Grammy’s?
Why you kill on every song? Why you frown at the screen?
There's so many thrones, why we argue who is the king?
Why's it over for the gangster? Why's over for bling?
Why they hype Britney up? They know she can't sing!
Why a whip and a chain the black American dream?
Why I know it in my heart it remains unseen.
Why?"

(c) Common

No comments: