DJ DeeKay - In The Mix


Thursday, 27 August 2009

MOBO Nominations 2009

Jeez what a night! I was at no point drunk but nonetheless my body seems insistent on punishing me for the copious amounts of Patron I got through at the Mayfair Hotel in London last night.

It was a who's who of the British "urban" music scene - pretty much EVERYONE was in attendance (apart from Westwood). I didn't spot Kano or Lemar but apparently they were about, alongside the likes of Mz Bratt, Young Nate, Reggie Yates, Master Shortie, Bluey Robinson, JLS, Wiley, Semtex, Bashy, Chipmunk... and many more. I'm not gonna lie, when I saw Wiley I was geeked. Like I'm a professional and shit, and I don't really get starstruck, but it took every bit of willpower to not go upto Wiley on one of the many occasions he was standing around near us and ask to take a photo with him. Pause. Oh and Semtex. I don't get starstruck but I was pretty much in awe of both Wiley and Semtex. Pause twice.

The catering was a madness - shout out to Ian and Samantha at Cottons who I'm reliably informed were responsible for the downright spectacular food. Rhian from MOBO just made my day by telling me that they've got a restaurant in Chalk Farm (not far from the Roundhouse) which I will most definitely be visiting very soon.

Moving on... JLS and Chipmunk touched the stage alongside the host Reggie Yates to do some of the announcing.


Big up Oritse, he clearly does not give a fuck. The Lovely Jade Ewen performed as did Bashy and H-Boogie.

And finally, the actual reason for the party - here's the nominations. In bold my tips to win and in italics who I'll actually be voting for! Best African and Best Gospel I've got no idea about! Shouts to Chip Diddy.

BEST UK ACT
Alesha Dixon
Bashy
Beverley Knight
Chipmunk
Dizzee Rascal
DJ Ironik
Donae’o
Mr. Hudson

N-Dubz
Tinchy Stryder


BEST UK NEWCOMER
Alexandra Burke
Jade Ewen
JLS
Laura Izibor
Master Shortie

BEST R&B / SOUL ACT
Beverley Knight
Ciara
Jeremih
Keri Hilson
Lemar

BEST HIP HOP ACT
Chipmunk
Dizzee Rascal
Drake
Eminem
Kanye West

BEST VIDEO
'Bonkers' - Dizzee Rascal
'Boy Does Nothing' - Alesha Dixon
'Diamond Rings' - Chipmunk ft. Emeli Sande

'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' – Beyonce
'Supernova' - Mr. Hudson ft. Kanye West

BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT
Akon
Beyonce
Ciara
Drake
Eminem
Jay Z
Kanye West
Keri Hilson
Lady Gaga
Mariah Carey

BEST SONG
'Beat Again' – JLS
'Diamond Rings' - Chipmunk ft. Emeli Sande
'Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes' - K.I.G. Family
'Number One' - Tinchy Stryder and N-Dubz

'Strong Again' - N-Dubz

BEST ALBUM
'808s and Heartbreaks' - Kanye West
'Catch 22' - Tinchy Stryder
'Catch Me If You Can' – Bashy

'I Am… Sasha Fierce' - Beyonce
'Uncle B' - N-Dubz

BEST REGGAE
Movado
Sean Paul
Serani
Tarrus Riley
Vybz Kartel

BEST JAZZ ACT
Diana Krall
Herbie Hancock
Madeleine Peyroux
Melody Gardot
Yolanda Brown


BEST AFRICAN ACT
Amadou and Mariam
Baaba Maal
Eidee
Femi Kuti
K’Naan
Lira
Mujava
Nneka
Oumou Sangare
Salif Kelta

BEST GOSPEL ACT
Desire to Worship God
Kiki Sheard
Mary Mary
New Direction
Crew

No comments: