DJ DeeKay - In The Mix


Sunday, 27 September 2009

Westwood - Industry Advice



Obviously if you know me in real life, you'll know Westwood is one of the people in the scene I wholeheartedly respect. He's a legend in the game who doesn't get anything near the credit he deserves - in all honesty, he's a small part of the reason I'm able to do what I'm doing today and anybody in "urban" music in the UK can shoot for the big stages.

"My job is to find heat and then make it hotter - that's the role of the DJ..."

With all that said, I'm not sure I agree totally with this. I see what he's saying, but to me the DJ's job is to be sensitive to artists, tracks and movements picking up even the smallest buzz, and recognise their potential to be hot. Not to just take something that's already hot and push it to that next level, but to be instrumental in building up that original heat as well.

Not sure if that makes any sense? Anyway, as usual Westwood talks more sense than his reputation would suggest, and drops some gems for aspiring DJs and artists. Pay attention.

No comments: